Wednesday, February 27, 2019

February

oh, hello, I would first just like to draw everyone's attention to the fact that I am blogging ON TIME. please hold your applause and continue reading.
For being the shortest month, February certainly felt long! The library got even smaller with the addition of another (thankfully, the last!) temporary wall. I took a quick trip to Denton to visit Mandy over President's Day. And I've been working through some really bad allergies for the past week now that Spring is actually coming! But onto the things I did!

For February:
Something I read: Becoming by Michelle Obama. I'd been on the waiting list even before the book arrived at the library, so I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of this one! It was perfect timing at the beginning of the month since I am going with friends to hear her speak in Austin tonight (the 28th)!
Y'all. It's so good. I just love her so much. I actually read it kind of slowly, because her story is so much to take in and I wanted to savor it. This probably sounds cliche, but it was so real and honest and humanizing, yet inspiring at the same time. There were times it made me so sad I just had to quit and take a break, because I miss the Obamas' public presence so much. But there were also times -- many more times -- when her passion for the work she did and the initiatives she started jumped off the page and brought me so much joy. Get it from your local bookstore or library and read it!!!

Something I watched/listened to: I'm going to cheat a little bit and do both for this one because I couldn't choose!
watched: Season 3 of One Day at a Time on Netflix. I watched the first and second seasons because Mandy recommended the show to me, and I thought it was alright. Then I read this article extolling the virtues of the third season and y'all -- it's not wrong. I LOVED it. They have found their footing and I enjoyed it so much. I mostly just really love shows where kids act like kids and parents act like parents, and I think the family dynamic in One Day at a Time is truly wonderful.
listened to: The Friendship Episode of Truth's Table. I started listening to this podcast when it first came out and I lived in Austin and loved it from day one! I didn't listen regularly in Dallas, though, so I've recently been working my way through Season 2 on my commute. Y'all, take 35 minutes and listen to this episode. I was inspired both by the fact that Ekemini, Michelle, and Christine became friends as adults, and by the active steps they take to preserve and invest in their friendship. I've listened to it more than once! (also while you're at it just subscribe and listen to all the episodes...)

Something I cooked: I believe this is technically baking, but I made some delicious banana bread this month! I also made blueberry muffins twice, and both times they grew mold by day 5, so that was kind of a bust. They were good the first few days though, and made quick easy breakfasts when I was rushed before work! (also if anyone knows something I could do to make these last longer --besides freezing them -- please hit me up because having them in an airtight container is not cutting it!)

Something I did (at home): I scrapbooked! I am almost ten years behind in my scrapbooks, but it's a hobby I love and just don't usually make time for. My friend Megan suggested it, so we got together with our friend Maggie for a day of crafting. It was a total joy -- and I got a lot of pages done! I'm inspired to keep it up now that I have more time for hobbies, so maybe I can actually get less years behind...

Something I did (at work): Did I tell y'all I'm on a task force?


via GIPHY
It's actually just a fancy name for me and two other librarians meeting to discuss problems related our rapid growth and write new policies and procedures to fix those problems. It can be time-consuming and cause a bit of a headache, but after about six weeks we finally solved some of our problems! We instituted our new policy and procedures for when library materials are overdue, damaged, missing, or returned incomplete, and so far it seems to be working! It sounds tedious and nerdy to care about policy, but I'm very proud of the flowchart I contributed, so. My coworkers also love the flowchart, which I think means I'm definitely working with the right people.

Something I want to do next month: Okay so I didn't read any of my own books. I just... keep putting things on hold. I'm trying not to! I think I have three library books out now? Somehow only one less than this time last month, though I've read five books this month.... so: the same goal! I'm feeling more confident for March!

No comments:

Post a Comment